Engaging with the Natural World is recognised as important to both our physical and mental health. Ecotherapy is a therapeutic programme which involves doing outdoor activities in nature. There isn’t one single definition of ecotherapy – it may incorporate different forms of physical activities or could be focused on horticulture (gardening) or a conservation project. Some standard elements include:
- Taking place in an outdoor, green environment
- Spending time focusing on doing an activity rather than your health
- Being in a structured activity in which trained professionals will guide and support you. These may include therapists.
- Is related to enjoying and exploring the natural world.
Some benefits of Eco Therapy include:
- Reduced stress and improved mood, wellbeing, and self-esteem.
- Increased opportunities for physical activity arising from natural setting resulting in health benefits.
Eco therapy can provide a sense of achievement and purpose – providing structure and routine to those how previously did not have one.
For more information and guidance on Eco and Outdoor therapies please click on the link below: